Below is a video of my lecture to Masters students on the International Journalism for Media Professionals and also those taking MSc Publishing at Edinburgh Napier University.
The theme was how to develop a successful magazine concept. Here are my five essential takeaways from the session:
- Spend time developing an in-depth business plan
- Don’t skimp on market research
- Critically evaluate your potential rivals
- 360-degree content is a must in this digital age
- Implement a ‘360 package’ advertising sales strategy
Never take a short-term approach when developing any media concept. Your business plan should be a route map – documenting not only where you want the magazine to be in five years but also identifying those critical strategies necessary for success.
To view the video, click Mary Hogarth at Edinburgh Napier.